Collingham Parish Council
The Parish of Collingham consists of the villages of Brough, Danethorpe and Danethorpe Hill as well as Collingham itself. The major village of Collingham sits astride the A1133 approximately 6 miles North of Newark-on-Trent and 12 miles South West of Lincoln. This lively and picturesque village comprises North Collingham and South Collingham; each having its own medieval church. There is a substantial conservation area and a rich mix of domestic architecture dating from the 16th Century to the present day. The site of the Roman settlement of Crococalana is nearby. A Parish map is at the bottom of this pages and shows the large area that is covered by the Parish
The village is on the east bank of the old course of the River Trent, now called the Fleet; it was around 1600 that the Trent Changed Course to its present position about 2 km away.
Collingham has a population of more than 2700 people (2011 Census) and benefits from having a range of shops and services including three churches, three pubs, a post office, medical centre, pharmacy, dentist, library and a primary school as well as train and bus services to Lincoln and Newark.
A short introduction to the History, Geography and Architechture of Collingham
The village of Collingham is situated towards the eastern edge of Nottinghamshire on the eastern side of the Trent Valley. The name "Collingham" is derived from the combination of Saxon words "inga" meaning "people", "ham" meaning "settlement" and "Colla" the name of the chief. However Bronze Age and Roman finds indicate that there had been a settlement here long before then.
It is possible that "Long Collingham" was split into two by the early Danish settlers, who called one half "Northbie" and the other "Southbie". Later in Medieval times, North and South Collingham existed as two parishes. The "advowson" (rights) belonged to Peterborough Abbey.
The village is now one long settlement following the Fleet, once the course of the river Trent. The two main streets, High Street and Low Street, run parallel and are connected several times by narrow lanes.
There are 62 listed buildings in Collingham, six of which are dated as 16th century or earlier. This indicates the wealth of architecture present and it is little wonder Whites directory of 1832 described Collingham as "one of the handsomest villages in the county".
The vernacular buildings are generally recognised by their limestone (blue lias) bases with timber frame and mud or plaster walling above. When brick became more widely used in the late 18th Century, this replaced the mud walling. Originally these building would have had thatched roofs. Pantiles are now more commonly found.
The above account is reproduced by the kind Permission of the Collingham and District Local History Society. Further details of buildings in the village can be obtained from the leaflet "Collingham Heritage Trail", available for purchase from the Post Office in the High Street.
Information on the many Public Rights of Way and Bridle Ways around the Parish can be found here
Collingham Parish Notice Boards
- Brough Chapel
- Bus Stop at South Collingham Hall
- Collingham Memorial Hall & Village Centre
- Jubilee Room
- One Stop
- Station Road/Thornton Road
- Youth & Community Centre